Do you know the toothpaste trick? It’s amazing, especially in a pinch. Well, let’s back up a bit. Our jewelry is made from raw, natural metals. What does this mean? It means it’s not plated with gold or silver which doesn’t “tarnish” but it will eventually flake/rub off leaving you with a piece of jewelry that doesn’t look anything like it did when you first bought it. Total bummer. Anyway, because we only use natural metals, oxidation/tarnishing is a natural occurrence.
The good news? Barring a jewelry catastrophe, your jewelry will always look like it did the day you bought it. Yay! With some help and care of course.
First, let’s discuss wearing your jewelry. Try not to wear it in water – showering, swimming, etc. Sometimes we can’t avoid it or we forget, no big deal. Frequent wearing in water will cause your jewelry to tarnish faster and could eventually cause corrosive damage to the metal. Salt water and salt air will make your jewelry oxidize really quickly, they could turn completely black at the beach. Again, not a big deal and it can also look really cool. It comes right off with the methods I’ll discuss below. But, if you’re at a beach event and don’t want your jewelry to remain that way, bring a polish cloth with you.
Ok, methods of removing oxidation. Now, some jewelry comes with intentional oxidation, meaning, it was intentionally blackened to accentuate texture or give the entire piece a black or gray look. Note that if you want to keep this type of finish, you might only want to use the “steel wool technique” (below).
- First, prevention – washing with a mild soap, drying thoroughly, and storing your jewelry in a poly zipper bag with a tarnish strip (most of our jewelry is shipped this way) or with a piece of white chalk should prevent you from having to clean it often.
- Good Ol’ Toothpaste – yep, wet the metal a little, take a tiny bit of toothpaste on your finger. Rub it in and you will start to see the black come off. Pretty easy, pretty awesome. Rinse it really well, especially if there are stones or wire wrapping, toothpaste can get gunked up in there. Voila! Your jewelry is clean, shiny and minty fresh!
- Worcestershire Sauce – weird right? This tends to work well on brass and bronze. Dip your jewelry in the sauce for a minute or so, the acidity in the sauce should clean off the tarnish, use an old toothbrush to scrub it a bit if needed. Rinse well and dry. Clean, shiny, savory jewelry!
- Fine Grade Steel Wool – my personal favorite. This is the best method to use if you want to keep the intentional black/oxidation on your jewelry. You have the most control over this one. Fine grade steel wool can be found at the hardware store, purchase either #000 or #0000. Rub the metal with the steel wool, it removes the unwanted tarnish and leaves a brushed metal finish. Rub lightly over the areas where you would like to maintain the black finish. It can be a little messy because the steel wool fibers break off and will make a little mess on your work surface. So don’t do this on any surface that you care about, like a finished table top or a surface that you don’t want to get scratched. Protect the surface. Have a magnet handy and you can clean up any loose steel wool fibers in a jiffy. It’s pretty fun, you’ll see.
Have any questions? Email Tara at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ugh! We know how frustrating that is! Especially when it’s your favorite pair! We offer replacement earrings at a discount. Just contact us at email@example.com and we’ll get you set up!
I want to make your shopping experience as easy and uncomplicated as possible. Shopping online always brings a certain level of unease because you can’t touch or feel what you’re purchasing. When it comes to jewelry, you probably want to try it on. Is it smaller than it looks online? Does it feel cheap or does it have a nice weight? I want you to feel a sense of ease when you’re in my store and have your only question be: “Do I love this?” I’m confident that you will love every piece of Tara Reynolds jewelry. I have extremely high standards when it comes to function, comfort and quality of all of my pieces. See the Terms section for details on returns.
Most of the jewelry is handcrafted to order and will ship in one to two weeks. Sometimes orders process faster than that. Some listings might indicate that a piece is “ready to ship”. These pieces are currently in stock and will typically ship the next business day. If you live in the United States you should receive your order within 3 to 10 days after shipping. If you live outside of the United States, please allow 4 to 6 weeks after shipping date to receive your order.
I know, in the days of Amazon this seems SOOOO long! Trust me, I get it. Sometimes I can accommodate faster turnaround, just let me know. But also know, that your jewelry is taking that long because it is being meticulously handcrafted with an attention to detail, function, comfort, beauty and loving intention.
Absolutely. Please contact us for a quote.
Yes! That’s really quite thoughtful of you!
It’s simple! Just check the box on the product page of the piece you would like to send and include what you’d like to say on the card in the “Order Notes” section at checkout.
If tragedy strikes and your jewelry breaks, it’s ok! I will repair it for you. Please send an email with REPAIR REQUEST in the subject line and include the following information:
1) Type of jewelry
2) Description of the repair needed/issue
3) Photo of the area that is broken
You will receive an estimate of the cost and a pre-paid and insured shipping label. Please note that the estimate given could change once the piece is received and examined in person.
Repairs start at $20 for simple soldering work. The fee can increase with the complexity of the repair and if additional materials are needed, like chain, metal or stone replacements.
We ship all orders via the United States Postal Service. If you live in the United States you should receive your order within 3 to 10 days after shipping depending on which part of the country you live in. If you live outside of the United States, please allow 4 to 6 weeks from shipping date to receive your order.
Returns are simple. It is so important that you love your jewelry. You deserve to be completely satisfied with your Tara Reynolds jewelry purchase.
WITHIN 5 DAYS OF RECEIPT
You may return your jewelry for a full refund of the purchase price.
FREE RETURN PROCESS:
- Contact us via email WITHIN 5 CALENDAR DAYS of the delivery date of your jewelry.
- We will send you a return shipping label and shipping instructions via email. All items must be shipped within 5 CALENDAR DAYS of the email date containing the shipping label (an exact date will be supplied in the email).
- The item(s) must be in the original condition and not altered or damaged in any way.
- Your refund will be applied to the original form of payment within 5 to 7 business days of receipt. You will be notified via email to the address listed on your account when the refund is applied. Your bank may require additional days to process and post the refund transaction to your account.
AFTER THE 5 DAY FREE RETURN WINDOW
For up to 20 calendar days after the delivery date, if you are not completely satisfied with your jewelry, you may return your non-custom jewelry (see below for custom jewelry policy) for an exchange or store credit equal to the purchase price, less any shipping charges, by following these simple steps:
- Contact us to let us know you will be returning the jewelry.
- Ship your return to Tara Reynolds Design within 10 calendar days of the date you received the item.
- Your jewelry must be in its original condition and may not be altered or damaged in any way.
- If possible, please include the original packing slip with your return.
You should ship your return via a traceable shipping method such as UPS, FedEx or Insured USPS. Please be sure to keep the tracking number until you receive your refund. The original shipping costs of returns are not refunded unless your jewelry is received damaged. Address your return to:
Tara Reynolds Design
ATTN: Online Return
4470 W. Sunset Boulevard, #607
Los Angeles, CA 90027
Your refund will be applied to the original form of payment within 5 to 7 business days of receipt. You will be notified via email to the address listed on your account when the refund is applied. Your bank may require additional days to process and post the refund transaction to your account.
CUSTOM DESIGNS AND PERSONALIZED JEWELRY
No refunds or credits are issued for custom or personalized jewelry but we will make every effort to remedy the issue and provide you with a piece of jewelry you are fully satisfied with. If you are not satisfied with your personalized jewelry, please notify us within 5 calendar days from the delivery date. In your message, please include the specific issues you have with your jewelry.